Planning and Building Services
Permitting New Construction and Additions/Alterations
Mountain living has an appeal that is hard to resist. It also has unique conditions that require special preparation to obtain a permit to build, remodel and/or add on to a residence, accessory structure or commercial property.
The Departments within the Planning and Building Services (Planning, Site Development, Environmental Health, and Building) all work together in the review and approval of your permits, but the property owner or the contractor is responsible for researching the property and knowing what the regulations are.
Each Packet (New SFR, Commercial/Multi-Family, and Residential Additions & Alterations) contains an overview section, and sections that pertain to each Department’s requirements for development. Each section also provides the applicable application forms necessary for the permitting processes for new construction or additions & alterations. Conditions and submittal requirements from each of the Departments must be met before the Building Department accepts and processes your application.
Permit Submittal Hours
- 8:00 am to 9:30 am, no appointment required
- 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, appointment recommended in order for staff to be available to review permit applications for submittal
Incomplete submittals will be refused until all required items can be received together. Please see the appropriate Overview Packet for minimum submittal requirements.
In Person Assistance and Staff Availability
The following departments are housed at the County Annex: Building, Planning, Site Development, Environmental Health, and Mapping. A staff member from each department will be available:
- 8:00 am to 11:00 am, no appointment required
- 11:00 am to 4:30 pm, appointment required
Approved Permit Pick-up Hours
- 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, permits require 20 to 30 minutes to issue permit and review inspection requirements and conditions of the permit.